Dumfries & Maxwelltown Observatory 1836, Founding Shareholder’s Admission Medal, numbered No.61, named to Mr R Menzies, white metal medal by T W Ingram, extremely rare
Rev: engraved Mr R Menzies No.61 within thistle wreath
References: none found
Notes: The old windmill tower was converted into a camera obscura by Walter Newall in 1836 and is now still functioning as the world’s oldest camera obscura. Presumably the shareholders provided the funding to Newall to create the observatory, in return for which they were issued these medals which acted as free admission passes. Today the observatory forms part of Dumfries Museum.