Aberdeen, Marischal College New Buildings 1837, bronze medal by T Halliday, rare
Obv: view of Marischal College, in exergue FOUNDATION STONE LAID BY THE DUKE OF RICHMOND K.G. CHANCELLOR OF THE UNIVERSY 18 OCT.1837 ARON.SIMPSON ARCHITECT
Rev: MARISCHAL COLLEGE & UNIVERSITY FOUNDED BY EARL MARISCHAL MDXCIII NEW BUILDINGS ERECTED WITH A GRANT FROM GOVERNMENT AND CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE CITY OF ABERDEEN ALUMNI & FRIENDS MDCCCXXXVII in 10 lines
Condition: Good extremely fine; Diameter: 51mm
References: BHM 1793; C-P 161/2
Provenance: from an old 19th century collection, with ink ticket.
Notes: The original College was founded in 1595 and became part of Aberdeen University. The New Buildings in this medal are granite and although still owned by Aberdeen University, are now leased to the local council.