Turkey, Istanbul, Hagia Sofia restored by Adbul Medjid 1849 (medal struck 1864), bronze medal by J Wiener & G Fossati, rare
Obv: interior view of Hagia Sofia
Rev: interior view of Hagia Sofia, details in exergue
Condition: about as struck, attractive; Diameter: 60mm
References: van H 206; Reinecke 60
Notes: Hagia Sofia (‘Holy Wisdom’) was completed in AD 537 as Constantinople’s cathedral. Upon the fall of the city to the Turks in AD 1453 it was converted into an Ottoman mosque, which it remained until the 1930s, when it opened as the museum which it remains today. It was a marvel of architectural achievement when it was built. This medal is remarkable also for its detail, struck in high relief recessing into the flan.